Roads and Trails Program
The Roads and Trails Program provides education and technical assistance to trail and open space managers and advocates regarding non-motorized trail planning, design, construction, funding and management throughout California.
The Roads and Trails Program:
- Oversees the California Recreational Trails Plan and reports on the progress in its implementation.
- Organizes and hosts California Trails & Greenways.
- Provides trail planning, funding and management tools, including the comprehensive Trails Handbook (2019), to trail managers and provides expert advice on trail management issues to agencies statewide.
- Developed the Department’s Trail Change-in-Use process and provides ongoing technical assistance and training for its implementation.
- Assists in the development of Road and Trail Management Plans for individual park units.