dawn ‘til dusk
Palomar Mountain State Park
For current fire restrictions, please call (760) 767-4037
Due to the threat of the Goldspotted Oak Borer spreading throughout San Diego County, OAK firewood will NOT be allowed into Palomar Mountain State Park. Wood sales ARE available at our kiosk when the we are open during kiosk hours. Please be aware that wood sales will NOT be available while the kiosk is CLOSED. You ARE allowed to bring other species of firewood, such as pine or eucalyptus.
To find out more about this pest, please go to http://ucanr.edu/sites/gsobinfo/
The beautiful forest and mountain meadows of Palomar Mountain State Park are in northern San Diego County, high atop the west side of Palomar Mountain. Large pine, fir and cedar trees make the park one of the few areas in southern California with a Sierra Nevada-like atmosphere. The park features camping, picnicking, hiking, and fishing (trout) in Doane Pond. Coniferous forests cover much of the 1,862 acres, in contrast to the dry lowlands surrounding the mountain.
Elevation within the park averages 5,000 feet above sea level, making evenings cool even during the summer. A number of vista points offer spectacular panoramic views both westerly toward the ocean and inland toward the desert, particularly from Boucher Hill Summit, which has been listed in the Sierra Club's "Hundred Peaks Section" since first published in 1946. There, you'll also find the historic Boucher Hill Fire Lookout.
The park is open from dawn 'til dusk daily. Reservations are highly recommended for camping during peak season. Day use fees are $10.00 per vehicle, cash or check only. Trails are open to foot traffic only, and dogs and mountain bikes are not allowed on trails. Please note that there are no gas stations on Palomar Mountain. For more information, visit http://www.palomarsp.org/
Palomar Day Use fee includes Silvercrest Parking Lot, Boucher Lookout Parking Lot, and Doane Pond Parking Lot
- Day Use Fee: $10 per vehicle
- Senior Day Use (62 or Older): $9
- Disabled Discount Day Use: $5 with State Parks Disabled Discount Pass
Palomar Mountain State Park Day Use Hours are: 8 AM to Sunset
Doane Valley Campground
- Standard Campsite Fee: CS 1-31 = $40 per night
- Senior Standard Campsite Fee (62 or Older): CS 1-31 = $38 per night
- Disabled Discount Standard Campsite Fee: CS 1-31 = $20 per night with State Parks Disabled Discount Pass
- Extra Vehicle: $10
Reservation can be made on Reserve California from April 1 to November 30. First come, first serve from December 1 to March 31.
Cedar Grove Group Camp
- GCG#1 = $130 per night includes 10 vehicles
- GCG#2 = $130 per night includes 5 vehicles
- GCG#3 = $130 per night including 5 vehicles
The online video journal of the Colorado Desert District covering Anza-Borrego Desert State Park®, Cuyamaca Rancho State Park and Palomar Mountain State Park.
California State Parks Kid's Safari goes to Palomar Mountain State Park and explores around Doane Pond.
This list of regulations is intended to make your camping stay at Palomar Mountain State Park a more enjoyable experience. Anytime during your stay, if you need assistance, please contact park staff and they will help you out.
Check in Time is 2:00 PM /Check Out Time is 12:00 PM (Sorry, No Exceptions)
- Camping fees include entry for 1 vehicle and 1 legally towed vehicle or trailer. Additional vehicles must register and pay additional fees (Currently $10.00 each vehicle.) Campsites are limited to 2 vehicles.
- Campers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent / legal guardian, or provide, upon arrival, a letter from a parent / legal guardian granting permission to camp. All juveniles must be in their own campsite at 10:00 PM.
- Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. Visitors are not allowed between 10:00 to 6:00 AM
- Generators may be operated in the park between the hours of 10:00 Am and 8:00 PM.
- Campsites are limited to 8 people maximum and is designed for individual family use.
- Parking is allowed in designated camping and day-use parking spaces. Parking off road is prohibited.
- Vehicle speed limit in the campground is 15 mph maximum.
- Dogs must be on a leash and attended at all times. Dogs are not allowed on trails.
- Alcohol and glass containers are prohibited beyond your campsite.
- Bicycles are restricted to the pavement and approved trails. E-Bikes are restricted to the pavement and are not allowed on trails.
- Helmets are required for those under 18 years old while riding bicycles, scooters, and skateboards.
- Campfires are permitted in provided fire rings only. Firewood is available for purchase at the entrance station and camphost sites. Wood gathering is prohibited.
- All State Park features (natural and cultural) are protected. Disturbance or destruction of these resources is strictly prohibited.
- No person shall launch, land, or operate a powered unmanned aircraft or Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) within Palomar Mountain State Park.
- Firearms and fireworks are prohibited at Palomar Mountain State Park.
No Drone Zone
-Drones are prohibited in the airspace above the reserve for several reasons, including the visual threat to wildlife and intruding on visitors' experience. For detailed information on the Posted Order 940-15-002 - CDD Unmanned Aircraft. and to reveiw the web page regarding the State authority over airspace.
- County of San Diego (Environmental youth education camp)