Current Conditions for All Big Sur Area Parks
Updated March 14, 2018
As of October 13, 2017, Highway 1 is open at Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, allowing vehicle access from the north to Julia Pfeiffer Burns and Limekiln State Parks. Highway 1 is closed at Gorda until late summer 2018 due to a massive landslide. From the south, access is closed on Highway 1 at Salmon Creek. Check traffic conditions before driving at the Caltrans website.
* POINT LOBOS State Natural Reserve is open but may close during storms and high surf events. More information: Point Lobos State Natural Reserve or Point Lobos Foundation.
* GARRAPATA State Park is open on the west side of Highway 1. All park lands east of Highway 1 are closed to public entry.
* POINT SUR Light Station is open for guided tours. More info: www.pointsur.org or (831) 625-4419
* ANDREW MOLERA State Park is open. The seasonal footbridge crossing the Big Sur River has been removed. Hikers must wade across the river to access these open trails: Creamery Meadow Trail, Ridge Trail, Bluffs Trail, Panorama Trail, Spring Trail. Open trails that do not require a river crossing include: East Molera Trail, Bobcat Trail, Coyote Flat and Cooper Loop Trail. The campground is closed until further notice. The River Trail and Twin Cottonwoods Trail are closed.
* PFEIFFER BIG SUR State Park is open. Trails that are open to the public include: Mount Manuel, Buzzard's Roost, Valley View, Liewald Flats, Redwood Deck, Nature Trail, River Path and Warden’s Path. Trails that are closed due to hazardous conditions include Pfeiffer Falls, Pine Ridge, and the Gorge trail. ** ALERT: Due to the possibility of extreme winter weather, campsites at Pfeiffer Big Sur will be first-come first-serve only from December 1, 2017 until April 1, 2018 as conditions allow. Reservations during this time will not be possible. Group Camp is closed and not available for reservation until further notice. Follow on Facebook for more up-to-date information. BIG SUR LODGE is open.
* JULIA PFEIFFER BURNS State Park is open for limited day use. Trails on the west side of Highway 1 are open. This includes the Overlook Trail and Partington Cove Trail. Trails on the east side of Highway 1 are closed. Ewoldsen, Canyon, Tanbark, Waters and the Tinhouse Fire Road Trails are closed. The campground is open.
* LIMEKILN State Park is open.
* PFEIFFER BEACH is open. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information regarding Pfeiffer Beach.
* PINE RIDGE TRAIL and SYKES HOT SPRINGS are closed indefinitely. Call the USFS Monterey District office in King City (831) 385-5434 for more information.
* Check the CalTrans website or call 1-800-427-7623 for up-to-date road conditions on Highway 1.